Tuesday, May 8, 2012

                                     


Welcome To My Adventures In The "Whoniverse"!


          My adventures in the world of the "time lord from Gallifrey" began while in a Newbury Comics in Portland Maine. For years I'd been fascinated with Doctor Who and wanted to pursue that interest. All I really knew about it though was the name,that it was British and that it had to do with time travel. Sounding very appealing anyway. But when I asked this worker at Newbury's what the central locust of Doctor Who was,he explained it in a way that was even more appealing. And that was of the show represented an advanced character who applied a moral code of decency to all those he encountered across space and time. So why am I making this blog about it when there are already so many?
       
           As my close friends and family already know,I am a science fiction enthusiast. I wouldn't say fan because my behavior toward it is hardly fanatical. But when I began to pursue my interest in Doctor Who,I had my own little reference guide: Wikipedia. In essence I learned what the show was all about. For those of you not in the know Doctor Who involves a time travelling gentleman who calls himself "the doctor". He travels in a sentient device called the TARDIS (time and relative dimension in space) that,either because of it's age or his lack of understanding of it's use,is always stuck in the shape of a British police call box,even though it's supposed to blend in with it's surroundings. The TARDIS appears far larger inside than out being that it's dimensionally transcendental .


           One of the most unique characteristics of the show is the doctors ability to regenerate his body (a process which alters his personality somewhat) when he's near death. As a result eleven actors have portrayed the doctor as if this time. It started with William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton in the 1960's,Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker in the 1970's,Peter Davison,Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy in the 1980's and Paul McGann for one TV movie in 1996. Since the series was relaunched on the BBC in 2005 Christopher Eccleston,David Tennant and recently Matt Smith have carried on as the ninth,tenth and eleventh incarnations of "the doctor".
The character travels with one or two companions most of the time. Usually human and usually female. They are meant to ask the questions of the shows "human" audience as it were.


           But there's more to Doctor Who than that. Each actor has bought a different flavor to the part. So each time it's almost like a different series. At the same time they're all extensions of the same character. And this character is one who is more inclined to use his unique moral code and brain power to deal with different adversaries and situations that to be physically reactive. It's basically a show about broadening one's understanding of reality. And using brain over brawn to deal with it. In this blog I will be providing you with reviews on DVD/episodes,thoughts on each of the doctors,his different companions and adversaries. One of the important things about this blog is I am relatively new to Doctor Who. So I believe my opinions might be unique rather than having a bias of some sort. So enjoy!

No comments: